[LAU] Advice on hardwware components

Michael TD Nelson m_nels at gmx.net
Mon May 21 11:39:31 EDT 2007

Dave Phillips wrote:
> Michael Nelson wrote:
>
>> Finally, the graphics card... What do you recommend? Is there
>> anything to avoid? I'd much rather use open source drivers, but don't
>> really have enough money to get a Matrox PCI-E card at the moment.
>>

> Hi Michael:
>
> Your system is similar to one I built a few months ago. Re: the
> graphics card, one thing to bear in mind is that the fans on those
> cards can be loud, even in an Antec case. I now have a fanless nVidia
> card in my machine, it works fine with either the kernel module or
> nVidia's binary driver, and it's *quiet*.

Thanks for the advice Dave.

I have been hoping to find something fanless on eBay UK. I was mainly
hoping to get some reassurance that drivers are ok on modern(ish) ATI
and nVidia cards. I'll keep looking, and wait until a bargain comes along.

On a slightly different note - are there any cards which have good 3d
performance with open drivers? I probably won't use it yet, but it would
be nice to know about...

Actually, I still (sort of) need a case as well. It's just an Antec
power supply I have at the moment. I do have a spare second-hand ATX
rack case at my parents' house. Next time I visit I'll probably collect
it and try to insulate it carefully.

Thanks
Michael