[LAU] building a debian system for audio

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Wed May 23 15:14:20 EDT 2007

On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 07:16:59PM +0100, James Stone wrote:
> On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 10:19:14AM -0500, Josh Lawrence wrote:
> >
> > So where did I go wrong?  I've been reading Ken Restivo's blog lately
> > (great blog, b/t/w), and he has actually built debian packages from

Thanks!

> > source of what he needs - is that the solution I'm looking for?  Is my
> > approach good or flawed, and what should I do differently?

I did it the hard way. Because, that's just the way I do stuff. I wouldn't recommend it.

The easy way would be to install UbuntuStudio, Musix, 64studio, etc.

> Basically if something depends on the old version of jack, then
> yes the best method would be to make a new package that depends
> on the up to date version, or alternatively wait for the
> packagers to sort it out.
>
> One last option is just to install the program as a non-debian
> package. I do this quite a lot because it is much quicker than
> debianizing everything, but it is not the recommended approach,
> and it leads to breakages if you install a debian version of a
> package you installed from source.

That's what I had to do in order to get Ardour2 going, since the Debian package uses SYSLIBS=1 and thusly makes it non-functional on my machine.

I tried checkinstall too, but that had issues: apparently the Ardour2 scons target tries to make symlinks for /usr/bin/gcc, and dpkg rightly refused to allow it to something so dangerous.

I also tried hacking the Debian ardour2 package to take out the SYSLIBS, but that didn't work either. Finally I filed a bugs.debian.org problem report and just let Free and Gunther et al deal with it.

FWIW, my /usr/local/bin looks like this:

	aseq2jackmidi
	ardour2
	chuck
	cygnal
	dumpOSC
	elven
	elven_guiloader
	ghostess
	ghostess_universal_gui
	gtf
	ingen
	ingen_load
	jace
	jack_capture
	jack_mididump
	ladspa2lv2
	lv2_inspect
	lv2_jack_host
	lv2_list
	lv2peg
	lv2_simple_jack_host
	midi_led.py
	midirgui
	paqtest
	patchage
	phasex
	roll
	sendOSC
	sockettest
	tuneit
	zynjacku
	zynjacku.py

Everything else is in Debian packages (via sid).

- -ken