[LAU] Whysynth and MIDI channels

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Wed May 30 09:18:51 EDT 2007

Am Mittwoch, 30. Mai 2007 schrieb Paul Coccoli:
> Now doesn't that sound silly when you read it out loud?  I don't
> understand why so many programmers insist on using 0-15 for MIDI
> channels when most hardware uses 1-16 (correct me if I'm wrong).

No. _All_ hardware uses 0-15 or 0x00 to 0x0F. Just look at the raw
midi-stream.
Most hardware translates that for the user to 1-16 and this could also be
possible for applications. But inside the program 0-15 will be used again at
least on the lowest level of midi-io.

I think if developers start to do a two-way thinking about gui on one hand and
rest of the application on the other hand, they might start to design guis
for users (instead of guis for programmers) which includes midi-channels
starting with 1. But very often I find myself exposing to much internals to
the user...

Arnold
--
visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/