[LAU] A virtual LAU chillout band

Rob lau at kudla.org
Thu Nov 15 01:05:22 EST 2007

On Wednesday 14 November 2007 17:55, Julien Claassen wrote:
>   But as I understood it: this project was called "virtual CHILLOUT
> band", which indicates to me, that first we'd start with more
> simplistic songs, staying at consistent tempo.

Yeah, there's been some pretty major topic drift and we've been
discussing collaborative music project hosting for a while.  I
personally like some downbeat trip-hop type stuff that could be
considered "chillout", I guess, and have written a bit in that vein
long ago, but I don't have much to contribute to a piece in any
electronic music genre right now.  My emotions are frankly a little
raw due to some unfortunate events in the recent past, and cool
compositions in unsyncopated 4/4 time with a click track and a bunch
of synths are not something I can make work at the moment.

>   BTW.: Why should the server have to internally know about things
> like tempo. As I understood so far, the server is mainly used for
> more or less clver storing.

Actually, it was you who first mentioned specifying the tempo of a
song; I merely stated why I thought that was a poor idea.  I don't
even think the server needs to know where the beats or measures lie
(again, because my preferred style of music doesn't necessarily
adhere to one meter for the whole piece.)

I think the way to do it is to upload tracks as discrete,
app-independent waveforms and enter an offset.  But as I laid out in
my original post on the thread, my overly ambitious take on the
project involves actually doing mixdowns on the server through a web
interface, not merely storage.

Rob