[LAU] LAU collaboration coordination?

plutek-infinity plutek at infinity.net
Fri Nov 16 14:11:16 EST 2007

thanks again for your thoughts, frank! i agree that the directory structure can be VERY simple - i'd say just one directory per song.

>    * Everything is posted, downloaded and uploaded as compressed tracks

can we standardize to ogg/vorbis? that way it's easy for those of us using tools which don't understand compressed formats to batch-convert.

>    * Let's say I lay down a concept in Audacity, save the project,
>      export the base track as Ogg-Vorbis.

ok

>    * Folks grab the track, import it into Audacity, add their
>      contribution, uploading just their compressed track

ok

>    * Each track aligns to the base track, whether loops or samples or
>      MIDI source and is an .ogg

so, you're envisioning every track being full-length -- a few questions about that: what if somebody's track is simply a shot at the end of the song? we could increase the efficiency of the system by providing a timestamp, relative to the base track. or, what if someone decides to add an intro out front (or even just natural instrument "pre-noise", such as breaths)? i'm thinking something like this: filenames include a timestamp (we'll have to decide what units and precision to use), and base files are always place at 1min, to allow for slop off the front end. someone might even want to make a count-in track, etc., etc.

>    * If someone wants to submit a "replacement" track "improving" on an
>      existing one, go for it
>    * Anyone at any time can take what's already done, and "fork" it to
>      their heart's desire
>    * When a call goes out "FINI" the "main branch" of the work is done
>      and the tune is ready for mastering
>    * Folks "chosen" as "winning" tracks will upload the full-fidelity
>      version of their track
>    * Mastering will be done as decided by the group - again, perhaps by
>      several folks
>    * Each mix-masterer will upload a compressed stereo file for the
>      group to review
>    * If something significant is going to be done with the finished
>      tune (it turned out great) the "winning" mix will be uploaded full
>      fidelity.

all that sounds perfect to me.

>There are a few "decisions" still required by the group:  Who ups the
>base track (Ken, Charles)?  How many base tracks before we exclaim,
>"That's it" and how much of a consensus is acceptable?

it think it'd be fine to allow open submisions of base tracks -- their usefulness will be determined simply by the degree of interest and subsequent tracking each one gets.

>Other related issues:  "Losers" will still have the completed tune in
>any form they wish - both with their "losing" track and with the
>"winning" track.  Mix-masterers can also treasure their final versions
>even if the group favors a different one.  If this first tune kills, we
>can go for a complete "work" or "album" and post it for sale as an
>international collaborative virtual band project - ought to be some real
>interest.

i do enjoy the *possibility* of an international collaborative release, but hold no expectations in that regard.

(btw... my name is peter, or just call me plutek, like a lot of folks do]

--
.pltk.