[LAU] Just got an M-Audio 1010LT and for a moment i had awesome sound, then i hit something.

Bearcat M. Sandor HomeTheater at feline-soul.com
Tue Oct 2 01:25:41 EDT 2007

Folks,

An hour ago, i wrote this:

I'm sure you've read this kind of thing a thousand times before. I'm new to
pro-audio cards so bear with me.

I just installed this card. I connected output 1 and 2 to my stereo amplifier.

I load up amarok and press play and start envy24control.  Under the "Monitor
PCM" tab, "PCM Out 1" and "PCM 2" are jumping nicely with the music that i
remember the last time i played the track i'm testing with. All of the "Mute"
buttons are in the out position (un-muted) on all tabs. All of the sliders on
all tabs are half way on the "Monitor Inputs", "Monitor PCMs" and "Analog
Volume".  All of them have "L/R Gang" set to on.  On the "Hardware Settings"
tab "Rate State" is "Reset", "Volume Change Rate" is 0, Data Mode is "Audio"
, Steam is "Stereophonic", Emphasis is "No emphasis",  Category on the
Consumer tab is "PCM Encoder". On the Patchbay tab "PCM Out 1" and PCM Out 2"
are selected, which are the defaults.

The instruction book uses a slightly different language then the Envy24Control
program. The book speaks of "WavOut"  devices. What does that correspond to
in the envy24control program? In the book there are master volume sliders. I
see none. Nor are there pan controls or "solo" toggles

Still i get no sound. Yes, my amp is on.

I looked through the book that came with the card and it's a bunch of
pro-speak of which i do not know the lingo yet. I did note that it says on
page 22 regarding the Patchbay/Router Page "The default setting, 'Wavout 1/2'
connects ports OUT1 and OUT2 to your music software or Windows multimedia
appliet. In other words when music sodtware plays audio to the device named
WavOut 1/2 Delta-1010LT" it will be routed directly to the hardware" analog
outputs 1 &2 of your 1010LT"  This seems like a key paragraph to me.

On the far left i can see "Digital Mixer" which is always still.  Although PCM
Out 1" and "PCM Out 2" are jumping this control (which i'd bet is my master
volume) is still as if mutes. All that is there to change is a button
labeled "Reset Peaks". Above it is "R-t-clk Menu >>" but clicking around does
nothing.

Any ideas or success/guidance to share?

NOW:
I played with the Analog Volume controls and slid them up. When I slid DAC 1
and DAC2, i got beautiful sound. The best my audio system has ever given me,
and no hum!! Awesome!!. Then i saw the Master Clock settings and
thought "upsampling?". I hit "int 9600" and my sound went away and my meters
froze . I put it back to 44100 and still no sound.

I've restarted alsa and rebooted and still no sound!!

Also, how do i activate the master volume?

I very very sad, now. I got a taste of paradise and then i screwed up!

Please help me not be so sad (and dumb),