[LAU] difference between realtime-kernel and low-latency-kernel?

Fri Oct 5 13:09:07 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-04 at 12:15 -0700, thomas fisher wrote:
> I can supply no quantifications for the 32 bit 2.6.20-16-realtime kernel  in
> ubuntustudio other than no xruns have been observed. With the low latency
> kernel, xruns were observed.

Do you remember by any chance which version of the rt patched kernel was
giving you trouble? There was a mainline kernel bug which created a lot
of problems from 2.6.18 onwards and was fixed in January 2007 (I could
not update to that one, or later versions till the problem was
fixed[*]).

> Jack is the only app that has a -20 priority
> assigned. The general workstation has been running without fault. The general
> Debian / Ubuntu philosophy tends towards system stability.

If you found a setup that works by all means stick to it! The list below
is only indicative, I have found the rt patched kernel to be better but
I don't have the exact same setup you have. There are many things that
have to be just right for everything to work fine, and of course it also
depends on how low are the latencies used (I routinely work at 2x128 and
also 64x2 - the default Jack 1024x2 is less problematic of course).

-- Fernando

[*] http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/1/5/291