[LAU] Best recording practise

Emiliano Grilli emillo at libero.it
Tue Oct 9 11:16:58 EDT 2007

Tuesday, 09 October 2007 alle 12:01:24, Julien Claassen ha scritto:
> Oi mates!
>   I've got the following scenaroi:
>   A microphone recording in a suboptimal room. Here's a breif
>   discription and my question is: How best to proceed, where best to
>   place the mic?
> It's a room roughly four by four or five by five metres. Carpet on the
> floor, wood panelled ceiling, mostly bare walls, one side with three
> windows (half room height) with thin curtains. My work place is
> located in one corner (wall and windows). I've got some keyboards to
> one side and in back, so I could drape some material over them.  Where
> should I best place the mic now? Unfortunitely I can't do real room
> correction because of shitty multi-media speakers only. Any ideas what
> I can do in general to compensate/improve the recording?

With a dinamic microphone you should'nt have big problems, since you'll
probably use a distance of 5/10 cm from the source. Try to angle the mic
in different ways (eg mic from bottom or from top). For vocals you can
cut everything below 150 Hz so boomyness shoud'nt be a problem too.
If the room reveals to be a real problem, you'd better go to recording
elsewhere (with a long cable for example) than try to treat the room:
also remember that too much deadening doesn't sounds so good. Hits
have been recorded in bathrooms.. so experimentation in sound is always
open... :) Usually, the bigger the space, the bigger the sound...

>   Kindest regards
>         Julien

HTH
Ciao