[LAU] GNU Denemo chokes a dual core 2 GB server

Edgar Aichinger edogawa at aon.at
Tue Oct 16 04:28:53 EDT 2007

Am Dienstag, 16. Oktober 2007 schrieb drew Roberts:

> > > If the tunes are really simple, and if the students aren't
> > > afraid of text files, they can use abc format.  There is a
> > > Linux program to map abc to midi.  I would think that's about
> > > the simplest and least resource intensive way to create
> > > playable midi files.  However, it's not the most
> > > intuitive.
> >
> > I missed the start of this thread. If you are interested in entering
> > musical notation (scoring) and exporting MIDI, well Rosegarden is not the
> > best choice, is too heavy and its scoring is not easy to use. Denemo is
> > simply not ready to play.
> >
> > Try good old kde noteedit (awkward but effective) or the new and very nice
> > musescore (mscore, is WYSIWYG and does not need lilypond to print, the new
> > one on the block and just gets better and better!).

BTW, the author of noteedit started a new project now, the old noteedit url
redirects to this page:

http://vsr.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/staff/jan/nted/nted.xhtml

He's progressing quickly during the last few weeks, and it's capable of playing
back via MIDI since several versions. There's even a .deb package available...

> I found the abc programs I was thinking of:
>
> Runabc.tcl
> http://ifdo.pugmarks.com/~seymour/runabc/top.html
>
> and:
>
> tkabc
> http://moinejf.free.fr/
>
> A whole bunch of ABC stuff:
>
> http://www.abc-notation.com/abcapp/list.html?phrase=&system=all&function=Playback

I also like those programs a lot, especially runabc has a bunch of clever analysis
tools for MIDI files.