[LAU] Suggested distro and processor speed ?

Frank Pirrone frankpirrone at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 17:20:50 EDT 2007

kevin kelley wrote:
>  Hello, This is my first post. I work everyday with
> Linux at my job (Slackware). I was wondering what most
> of the people on this list use as their main Distro
> for Linux audio? I plan to use some form of multitrack
> recording software as well as some sampling looping
> software as well.
>  I have some older boxes that I was considering using
> does anyone have advice on processor speed and system
> configurations that work well?
>  I am also interested in knowing what hardware
> interface work best for Linux audio?
>  Sorry for the fragmented post.
>
> Kevin Kelley
> xirin6 at yahoo.com

Kevin,

Saw the other posts and both are good advice.  I have Ubuntu Studio
running in a VM under OS X and it's very nice.  Two other distros I've
installed recently are the Sabayon (derived from Gentoo) on this Dell
470 Workstation - SMP with two 3.0GHz Xeon processors, dual 10,000RPM
SCSI drives in RAID with Perc/320 busmastering controller.  It's
beautiful and screaming fast.  Finally, I just installed PCLinuxOS on an
old Medion computer for my lovely and charming neighbor and it's
outstanding - may be the best of the three for the typical user.  Prior
to that I had an older Fedora Core with CCRMA.

It's a big wide wonderful world we live in (song lyric) and virtually
all paths lead to glory.

All the best, and have a blast!

Frank