[LAU] Loosing stuff is not always a bad thing

Folderol folderol at ukfsn.org
Sat Sep 1 14:48:27 EDT 2007

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 23:01:28 +0200
Nigel Henry <cave.dnb at tiscali.fr> wrote:

> Well here's the patch for what it's worth. Attached below.
>
> Nigel.

Hi again Nigel.

I've had a look at your patch and tried a few changes. I'm not entirely
sure it's any closer to a piano or just different at 90deg!

First I changed the saw wave to a triangle because I thought the saw
was too raspy. Then I changed the attack and decay times to try to
emulate the effect of the 'strings' being hammered. As far as I can
see, phasex doesn't allow micro pitch changes between oscillators, so I
added in a bit of chorus to try to get a slightly detuned effect.

Anyway, let me know what you think.

Anyone else want to have a go at this?

FWIW I also decided to try re-recording the original version of
Antartica. That actually turned out to be much easier than I expected
as all the instruments I had used were still in the SY35 user bank. I
just had to rearrange a multi (but I can't of course be sure the levels
are right). The hardest part was actually resisting the temptation to
'adjust' things! It's quite a bit faster too. I'd forgotten about that.

Anyway here it is if you're interested. I only put up an mp3 version
and I'll probably remove it again in a week or so.

http://www.musically.me.uk/music/Antartica1993.mp3

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk