[LAU] [OT] MIT Open Courseware informal study group?

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Tue Sep 4 11:41:13 EDT 2007

Hi everybody who was interested in this,
I've created a project page here:
http://www.openplans.org/projects/open-courseware-6001
You'll need to create an account on that site. You should
then have access to the mailing list,
http://www.openplans.org/projects/open-courseware-6001/lists/ocw-6.001/

Let's get this rolling!

-PW

On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 04:43:18PM -0400, Paul Winkler wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> The following has nothing to do with audio, or even with Linux per se,
> but I think of you as the right sort of people to be interested in
> something like this :-) Feel free to write me off-list and we can take
> the discussion elsewhere.
>
> I've been programming professionally for about 8 years. I'm
> self-taught. Lately I've been wishing I had a better grasp of computer
> science fundamentals, but I can't afford the time or money to attend a
> degree program.  But hey, MIT has most of their academic materials
> online for free - including textbooks, class notes, and lecture
> videos!
>
> The problem with doing it alone in my spare time is that there are too
> many other things competing for my attention. I think it would help a
> lot to have an online discussion group - a group that commits to
> finish* a given course in a certain number of weeks, and can help each
> other stay motivated, and help each other with difficult concepts,
> etc.  By "finish" I mean: watch every lecture, read the texts, and
> complete every assignment.
>
> Is anybody else interested in something like that?
>
> I'd propose to start at the beginning, with the introductory scheme
> course:
> http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Electrical-Engineering-and-Computer-Science/6-001Spring-2005/CourseHome/index.htm
>
> (btw, I got this idea from hearing about some people doing something similar
> with Knuth's "Art of Computer Programming" books. but of course now I
> can't find a relevant link.)
>
> --
>
> Paul Winkler
> http://www.slinkp.com