[LAU] How much does my new SB Extigy suck and why?

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Wed Sep 5 16:41:30 EDT 2007

Am Mittwoch, 5. September 2007 schrieb Bearcat M. Sandor:
> So, if i were to get a higher-end sound card like an RME that might be
> shielded enough to avoid the fan hums? I'm gonna get things as quiet
> inside my case as possible, but i'll need *some* fans even if they are
> large and slow.

Most (all?) internal soundcards don't pick up the acoustic sound of the fans
but the electric noise of fan, disks (cd/dvd included), mouse, key,
everything that send digital data through a poor shielded or unshielded cable
inside the computer. That is what you hear if the soundcard doesn't provide
enough shielding itself. And sometimes (read on some soundcards) you can even
hear the power fluctuating when fans/processors/disks need more/less power.

That is the added effect why I think external soundcards (with external
power?) are better then internal ones.

BTW: I get similar effects in my internal sblive as you with your external sb
extigy...

Arnold
--
visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/