[LAU] How much does my new SB Extigy suck and why?

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Thu Sep 6 17:09:10 EDT 2007

Am Donnerstag, 6. September 2007 schrieb Bearcat M. Sandor:
> Strange that they'd use one set of drivers for the front and rear.

That is not strange: By using the AC97 they get a completely(?) developed
product with all the compatibility (= Lots of features and benefits for less
cost). They just extend it with their own features by adding their emu10k1 on
the board.

> Huh.  I
> try to keep my volume down at those levels too and it does seem to make a
> difference.

I really think its some clipping happening because of the resampling...
Sometimes (before my good devices) I mastered in 48kHz and all sounded well.
Downsampling to 44.1kHz for CD gave me horrible high noise/distortion on
rehearsal at the same volume which made me check the 48kHz material (which
was okay).

> Can you explain why we seem to have 2 "Master" sliders and 2 "Line-In"
> sliders?

I have even more "Line-In"s because of the livedrive :-)

> I donno why i sounds better this time, but hearing is *so* based on
> expectations.  It's not great, but it will do till i can afford something
> better.  I wonder how much better the M-Audo Audiophile sounds?

Well, the Audiophile should give you another step in quality...

> As far as your Tascam goes i might consider that. How much do you want for
> it and how much higher is the sound quality? All i need is stereo out +
> line-in for mythtv.

Hm, the tascam has stereo in and out. The only problem with (my) Tascam is
that the input-amplifiers break regularly. And of course the
warranty-timespan is over and one input-preamp is broken again. So the first
channel can only be used from the insert-point on.

Where do you live and what do you want to pay for a (half- / third-) broken
Tascam?

I am not yet confident with the thought of selling it because the firepod in
its rack is much harder to transport and doesn't allow for field-recordings
just with the laptop. But maybe I lend/sell the tascam to a friend who plays
guitar and might be interested in using linux (and a pc) as effect-stack...

Arnold
--
visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/
---