[LAU] Low Latency Kernel for openSUSE 10.2 x86_64 - please help

David Haggett david at haggett.demon.co.uk
Sun Sep 16 09:54:52 EDT 2007

Hello, List

Until recently I have been running SUSE 9.3 x86_64 with a self-compiled
realtime kernel (using the realtime-lsm).  I have now upgraded to openSUSE
10.2 because I was having difficulties installing the latest versions of
certain applications.

I'm very happy with the distribution generally, but I'd now like to get my
audio performance back to what it was.  Via the installation and set-up forum
at jacklab, I have been directed to realtime kernel, kernel-source and PAM
packages for x86_64 at:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/appleonkel/openSUSE_10.2/x86_64/

Have downloaded the packages but have not yet installed them.  Unfortunately
the thread dried up before it answered my supplementary questions.

Firstly I noticed that the kernel and kernel-source packages have different
release numbers.  Does this matter?  I need to compile the nvidia driver to
get X back after the install.
  kernel-rt-2.6.19.1-4.1.x86_64.rpm
  kernel-source-2.6.19.1-3.1.x86_64.rpm

The other point I'm confused on is how to safely install the RPM.  Is it
really as simple as rpm -Uvh or are there other steps.  Does installing the
new kernel wipe out the old one, or will it install alongside the default
one?

Secondly
--

David Haggett