[LAU] Low Latency Kernel for openSUSE 10.2 x86_64 - please help

Oliver Bengs appleonkel at flashgrafik.de
Sun Sep 16 13:44:49 EDT 2007

Am Sun, 16 Sep 2007 14:54:52 +0100
schrieb David Haggett <david at haggett.demon.co.uk>:

> Hello, List
>
> Until recently I have been running SUSE 9.3 x86_64 with a
> self-compiled realtime kernel (using the realtime-lsm).  I have now
> upgraded to openSUSE 10.2 because I was having difficulties
> installing the latest versions of certain applications.
>
> I'm very happy with the distribution generally, but I'd now like to
> get my audio performance back to what it was.  Via the installation
> and set-up forum at jacklab, I have been directed to realtime kernel,
> kernel-source and PAM packages for x86_64 at:
>
> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/appleonkel/openSUSE_10.2/x86_64/
>
> Have downloaded the packages but have not yet installed them.
> Unfortunately the thread dried up before it answered my supplementary
> questions.
>
> Firstly I noticed that the kernel and kernel-source packages have
> different release numbers.  Does this matter?  I need to compile the
> nvidia driver to get X back after the install.
>   kernel-rt-2.6.19.1-4.1.x86_64.rpm
>   kernel-source-2.6.19.1-3.1.x86_64.rpm

Yes it matters, the buildservice is counting the releases every build.
> The other point I'm confused on is how to safely install the RPM.  Is
> it really as simple as rpm -Uvh or are there other steps.  Does
> installing the new kernel wipe out the old one, or will it install
> alongside the default one?
It will. Anway you can't install nvidia without the matching sources.
Try
http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/SL-OSS-factory/inst-source/suse/x86_64/kernel-rt-2.6.22.5-18.x86_64.rpm
with
http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/SL-OSS-factory/inst-source/suse/x86_64/kernel-source-2.6.22.5-18.x86_64.rpm

This is the kernel for the coming openSUSE-10.3 but it still works
under 10.2.

--
Oliver Bengs
Key fingerprint = 8F45 91CA 4038 41D3 2FF7  8A65 D3A3 3358 A16E A024

http://jacklab.org