[LAU] Low Latency Kernel for openSUSE 10.2 x86_64 - please help

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Mon Sep 17 04:23:36 EDT 2007

Arnold Krille wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 16. September 2007 schrieb david:
>> Well, on my laptop ... with kernel 2.6.18-3, removable devices are
>> detected and automounted. With 2.6.21-2, they are not. So there might be
>> other reasons for not going with things closer to "latest and greatest".
>> ;-)
>
> Here removable devices are detected the right way on 2.6.21-* (both amd64 and
> intel32 but with both with gentoo). Maybe 2.6.18 was the last version with
> devfs and you didn't yet make that switch?

How can I tell if my system is using devfs? I think it is, FWIW, but
what are they trying to replace devfs with?

> Or its just a Suse-patch that breaks it?

Don't use SuSE here - just plain Debian.

> Did you try a vanilla 2.6.21?

The 2.6.21-2 is the plain version from the Debian repository.

> And: 2.6.21 isn't "latest and greatest", 2.6.2[23] or git is ;-)

Didn't say it was - it's just the latest and greatest in the repository
I use. I've tended to stay back from "latest and greatest" because twice
in my Linux life, I've had a "latest and greatest" kernel crash and burn.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community