[LAU] X Runs at Exactly 10 Minute Intervals

Martin Lynch martin.lynch at shaw.ca
Fri Sep 28 06:35:49 EDT 2007

As I write this, Qjackctl shows 14:35 since the last X Run!!!

I don't have this completely narrowed down as to the offending
program(s), however what I did was open the System Monitor and began
stopping programs I thought were either likely offenders or simply
unnecessary. One thing I didn't realize was that Evolution (linux mail
client), despite not being my default mail client and not being active
still had 4 programs running - remains to be seen if that's the culprit.
Here's what I currently have stopped:

ntpd
evolution-alarm-notifier
evolution-data-server-1.10
evolution-exchange-storage
evolution
freshclam
update-notifier
gnome-screensaver
getty (there were 6 instances of this running, all showing the identical
amount of memory being used - I left one on and stopped the other 5 - no
idea what this is - will research it further - but doubt this has
anything to do with the X run issue, since one is still running)

FYI: I'm now at over 22 mins without an X run, still at my 2ms latency
setting and I happen to be watching an HD movie at the same time! (and
no, it didn't take me 8 mins to write this - had to have a pillsbury
turnover break for fortitude ; - )

I'd really like to thank everyone that helped me with this issue - one
of the best things about switching to linux has been the community -
thanks guys!!!