[LAU] howto: making drums (hydrogen/ rosegarden doc)

Philippe Hezaine philippe.hezaine at free.fr
Mon Apr 7 12:03:39 EDT 2008

Hi,

schoappied a écrit :
> Pablo Fernandez wrote:
>
>>     From: schoappied <schoappied at gmail.com <mailto:schoappied at gmail.com>>
>>     Subject: [LAU] howto: making drums
>>     To: linux-audio-user at lists.linuxaudio.org
>> <mailto:linux-audio-user at lists.linuxaudio.org>
>>
>>     Hi,
>>
>>     Do you use hydrogen or midi to make drum parts for your songs?
>>
>>     Are there nice drum hydrogen files available? where?
>>
>>     Are there nice drum midi files available? Where?
>>
>>     I'm looking for a howto to make nice drum parts in midi
>> (rosegarden) and/ or
>>     hydrogen. Is there a good tutorial on the internet somewhere?
>>
>>     Thanks in advance,
>>
>>     Dirk
>>

>>     ------------------------------
>>

>> This is my work flow for the drum parts:
>>
>> I export to midi file the hydrogen song. Then I merge it in Rosegarden
>> and have it as a single midi track.
>> I write the drum parts in Hydrogen because as a sequencer is much more
>> user-friendly than Rosegarden. But then I use the more flexible midi
>> file in Rosegarden where I can change the tempo for different parts.
>>
>> Then, if you like the chosen drumkit in Hydrogen you can use it as a
>> synthesizer as the playback midi device. Or else you can use qsynth or
>> Linuxsampler to play the midi song, but in this case you may have to
>> rearrange the list of instruments in the pattern editor of Hydrogen
>> which is very easy anyway.
>>

> A few minuts old:
> http://rosegarden.sourceforge.net/tutorial/supplemental/hydrogen/
>
> a tutorial for using Rosegarden with Hydrogen by D. Michael McIntyre.
>
> Dirk

As for me, I use Muse or Rosegarden --> Hydrogen.
I have made a drumkit from Timidity's mapping in two parts because there
only!!! (ah! only!) 32 tracks in Hydrogen.
I'm not complaining about -not at all- but i'll hope as well 48 tracks.
(Too much!)
I numbered the tracks in Hydrogen, understanding to begin number one for
both b0 (Acoustic Bass Drum) and c1
(Bass Drum 1). The second part begins from Low Agogo, hence a second
drumkit.
That is the drawback for this method.
 I have made a .wav repertory from Timidity's pat, improved the volume
samples for a few of it with
Rezound, ans so I can easily work and record the drums with Midi then
Ardour.
I choose this way because i'm thinking it's difficult to make a
homogeneous drumkit.
Of course it isn't the top level, but for me the reverb effects and the
other ones  inside the samples are the worst thing.
My 2 cents.
 --
Phil.
Superbonus-Project (Site principal) <http://superbonus.project.free.fr>

Superbonus-Project (Plate-forme d'échange):
<http://philippe.hezaine.free.fr>