[LAU] new! linuxmusicians.com

schoappied schoappied at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 15:10:35 EDT 2008

Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:
>> I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but the Linux audio community
>> hasn't exactly been lacking in this area:
>>
>> http://www.linuxaudio.org/
>>
>> Is a portal to all kinds of things related to Linux audio (including
>> this mailing list).
>>
>> Not to mention the http://linux-sound.org/ site also.

Can I play that role now? ;)

I didn't read FORUM in your examples....
It's hard for new people in the world of linux audio to get things
started. I visit also often a Ubuntu forum and always find people who
like to make music with linux but find it hard to get jack started etc.

Offcourse, on the websites you mentioned, there is a lot usefull (and
not so usefull too) information, but people, or at least some kind of
people, learn the fastest way, interacting with other (more experienced)
people. Yes, this can by using the lau mailinglist and irc, but a forum
is a very nice form of communication for this. For example you have
latex mailinglists and fora. Sometimes it is more usefull to put a
question on a forum and sometimes on a list or both...

And yes, there are other usefull fora like the ones on the 64studio and
jacklab site, but such a central forum like the one where this topic is
about, can make things more central... which means more information of
more experts....

> Let me take this one step further and state that the entire linux-sound.org
> database has been ported over into apps.linuxaudio.org with full user access
> to maintaining/altering the content which makes linux-sound maintenance
> unnecessary (esp. since Dave has effectively decided not to keep it up to
> date as often as he would like to). I think it would be nice if we all put
> efforts towards a common goal, especially since linuxaudio.org is all about
> the community. If there is an aspect of the lao domain you don't like, you
> are more than welcome to contribute...
>
> That being said, as always, we continue to be in dire need of
> assistance/support in making linuxaudio.org better. This is why I perceive
> the fragmentation of community resources to be moving us farther away from
> the place where we ought to be and where the consolidated online presence
> would be truly useful and meaningful to a community as small as ours.

You can make linuxaudio.org 'alive' when you put also a forum on the
site. When there's a active forum, more people will visit the site and
more people will find the site, cause now it isn't very clear for
newbies where to go...

I think you could link the new forum to the linuxaudio site or ask the
person who did set up the forum, to move his forum to linuxaudio.org...
Then you have a active community on a central spot on the internet, with
a forum connected to the linuxaudio site...

~dirk