[LAU] qjackctl (documentation)

schoappied schoappied at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 16:34:13 EDT 2008

hollunder at gmx.at wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 20:25:15 +0800
> "Ray Rashif" <schivmeister at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Posted the following in your other mail:
>>
>> http://w3.linux-magazine.com/issue/67/JACK_Audio_Server.pdf
>>
>> Let's take a look at what QJackCtl is, before we talk about its
>> documentation. Someone else in another related-mail mentioned that
>> the need for documentation isn't that much significant since the
>> application - or rather utility - is a rather straightforward one. It
>> is afterall, a front-end to the JACK server. It lets you manage
>> connections, execute commands/scripts alongside, set server options
>> with a GUI, and err..that's about it. Your best friend indeed, but
>> one whom you can understand easily, given the right attitude.
>>
>> Start ==
>> Stop == " "
>> Messages == " " (jack-specific)
>> Status == " "
>> Connect == " "
>> Patchbay == " " (you could find out what it does by just checking it
>> out; experimenting)
>> Quit == You really need an explanation?
>> Setup == " "
>>
>> Ok so we now take a look at Setup. Sure, things need to be explained
>> here. That's just what the above JACK document in PDF format does.
>> Other things which aren't brought into detail are fairly common
>> knowledge, or sense. Alright now try searching for this PDF file from
>> Google, that way we can gauge how difficult/easy it is to stumble
>> upon. True enough, there isn't anything else similar out there so we
>> can say "proper" documentation of the program is scarce. I really
>> like your stance on this issue and with more people like you this
>> particular lack of "professionalism" can definitely be nullified. Now
>> I'm inspired enough to do some writing too ;)
>>

> There could be other confusing elements, the user initially doesn't
> necessarily know that start refers to the server, not the transport, if
> he even knows that there is a transport, or a server that needs
> starting.
> It's all not hard once you know a few basics, but many new users appear
> to have trouble. To find working settings appears to be the most common
> one.
> I agree that having a nice qjackctl documentation would be a good
> thing, but where to display it? Where will it be found easily?

Hi,

I think we should make some short of a *attitude change* or better,
*change of perspective*.  If you  are a good guitarist, it is often
difficult to learn a new student to play things... You expect that some
things are easy to pick up, but  than you realize that somebody  can't
make  a
barre chord with his fingers, or doesn't know the (most used) finger
picking technique...

I've have worked on a secondary school with children, and then you learn
to change perspective. I've learned to say things or write things down
as if my brother of 10 has to do or read it. Same thing if you do an
experiment or make a questionnaire... don't do a pilot with your
classmates, but let somebody from 'outside' read it or do it first!

Same thing for Linux (audio). If you are a programmer or work daily (for
many hours) with linux (audio), everything seems to be
'Self-explanatory' But you should take in account that not everybody is
working with linux (audio) daily, and other people can have other styles
of learning...

So make a documentation and if you make it, do it like you write it for
your mother, little brother or whatever... And examples and pictures
will do a whole lot more then (computer!) language!

It would be nice if a couple of guys could write a documentation for
such a core app on linux, qjackctl.

Where to place it? On the qjackctl page and the linuxaudio.org page!

Kind regards,

Dirk