[LAU] qjackctl patchbay

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Thu Apr 17 18:59:50 EDT 2008

Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 08:18:14PM +0200, Salvatore Di Pietro wrote:
>
>> I always loved it, but never found a way to let me disconnect clients if
>>   I want to, *without automatically reconnecting them*, i.e. if I want
>> it to set the connections only when the audio/midi programs start and
>> their ports show up...
>
> It has other problems. (version 0.3.2)
>
> 1. The 'snapshot of actual connections' doesn't work correctly.
>
>   Simplest example: connect capture_1 to playback_2, capture_2
>   to playback_1, make and save the snapshot, then activate.
>
> 2. It doesn't let you update (overwrite) and existing saved
> patchbay.
>
> 3. It doesn't allow you to activate a patchbay until it is saved.
>
> Most times when I want to use the patchbay I don't want to save
> it at all, just use it for some time. 2+3 lead to a collection
> of unwanted patchbay files in my home directory.
>
> Both 2+3 and the problem reported by Salvatore could be
> solved by having 'Update' and 'Reload' buttons instead of
> the forced persistence.

problem 1 is an old one and is due on lack of a better mapping algorithm
between actual jack graph and qjackctl patchbay models:

- jack graph is represented by connecting nodes which are the actual
individual  ports;

- qjackctl patchbay is represented by nodes (sockets), which aggregates
an ordered set of ports (plugs), intentionally connectible in turn, when
actively available.

yeah yeah, my eloquence and/or documentation skills are even worse than
  my own twisted mind, the one that made this patchbay thingie from the
first place :o)

the other two problems (2+3) are somewhat moot imho. yes, you'll always
have to save the patchbay profile, so what? right, i know the process is
open for improvement (like, for example, an evil auto-save feature?)

all suggestions are welcome,

even better if those are laid in a patch form :)))

cya
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
rncbc at rncbc.org