[LAU] How to write beats

Anders Dahnielson anders at dahnielson.com
Mon Apr 21 12:09:36 EDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 5:15 PM, schoappied <schoappied at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was wondering, is there information available to learn putting those
> beats into notation? What 'symbol' belongs to the bass, hi-hat etc.
> Is there information on the internet about it? Or does someone knows a
> other method (good book) for it?
>
> And how easy is it to match the notes with a drumkit in for example
> hydrogen? I think it should possible to play the drum score in
> Rosegarden with Hydrogen as a synth..

Sure there is!

Here's an introduction to drum notation:

http://www.drums-and-drum-sets.com/drum-notation.php

And the Lilypond documentation has a nice overview of which "pitch" maps to
what drum in different notation styles:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.10/Documentation/user/lilypond/Percussion-staves#Percussion-staves

When it comes to drums and MIDI you have a choice of drum maps (which note
maps to what drum) either standard GM drum map, the nifty MC505 map or some
custom map (because every drum kit is different and MIDI should be regarded
as "recorded performances" and not as "notation" -- although most maps is
usually compatible when it comes to basic kick, snare and hihat).

--
Anders Dahnielson
<anders at dahnielson.com>