[LAU] OT: Portable Keyboard

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Apr 23 05:41:12 EDT 2008

My Yamaha PSR-255GM is 36" wide, 14" deep, 5.5" high. Has 61 keys,
decent speakers built in, and one line out. It lacks any connection for
a volume pedal or any other control widgets, although it has a
connection for a foot switch. The keyboard can even run on batteries.

The PSR-740 I use in our church band has roughly the same keys, is a bit
wider and deeper, better built in speakers and stereo line outs. Also
offers foot switch, volume pedal, a pitch bend controller and a
modulation controller that by default tries to function like a
lightweight imitation of a Leslie speaker. The foot switch, pedal and
both controllers are configurable via the keyboard's LCD menus. It has a
lot of capabilities (including drum machine functions, etc) because it's
sort of designed to be a "one-man-band" instrument. It even has a mic in
connection and an assortment of DSP tricks you can use on an incoming
voice (such as generating a three-voice chorus accompaniment from it).

I'm very partial to Yamahas, I think they have the best built-in sounds. ;-)

Of course, neither of them is made anymore, but perhaps later PSR models
would be suitable. Don't know how it compares to your Evolution.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community