[LAU] OT: Portable Keyboard

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Apr 25 05:21:32 EDT 2008

Simon Williams wrote:

> david wrote:
>> My Yamaha PSR-255GM is 36" wide, 14" deep, 5.5" high. Has 61 keys,
>> decent speakers built in, and one line out.
>
> Hmm. I looked at the manual for the PSR-255GM and I can assure you that
> it does *not* have line out. It has a headphones socket. Everything has
> a headphones socket.

OK. I have it running into a splitter cable that feeds into my stereo
mixer and that feeds in to a separate amplifier, and don't have any
noise problems whatsoever.

> But I want line out, which will usually come as
> Left and Right channels as two separate mono 1/4" jack or phono/RCA
> sockets. Any stereo jack socket is certainly a headphones socket. It has
> to be labeled "line out"- "headphones/output" isn't line out.
> A headphones socket has a different impedance to a line out socket,
> which makes it less useful for connecting to a PA system. You will get
> more noise when using a headphones socket to connect to a PA system
> because the levels will be all wrong.
> The other issue is that a headphone socket will mute the onboard
> speakers whereas line out will not.

The PSR-740 has two Line Outs (has a separate headphone jack on the
front) - one for Left, one for Right.

> Al Thompson wrote:
>> My suggestion would be to stop looking at low-end consumer grade
>> gear.
>
> That's great in theory. Except for one thing- I can't find what I'm
> looking for in higher end gear either. Most of it is 8 octaves long
> which is too big (though the Korg X50 looks promising). Has no-one
> considered churches and small bands?

That's exactly what I use the PSR-740 in - a church's worship band. And
we need the portability, because we don't have our own property yet, so
we're renting space in school cafeterias.

>> If I were to put together something like this, I would get a
>> MIDI controller keyboard, which will be about the size of what you
>> had before (or maybe even smaller), and get a used Roland JV-1010.
>> You'd end up with something as portable as you want, with vastly
>> superior capabilities from what you had before.  Controllers or
>> cheap, and a used JV-1010 is cheap too.
>
> david wrote:
>> Of course, neither of them is made anymore, but perhaps later PSR
>> models would be suitable. Don't know how it compares to your
>> Evolution.
>
> Perhaps I didn't mention that my Evolution is a cheap USB Midi
> controller keyboard. It's supposed to be good, but I'm convinced that
> the pads have worn out or something because I often get notes suddenly
> played way louder than the rest.

It's possible. They may just need to be cleaned?

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community