[LAU] OT: Portable Keyboard

James Stone jamesmstone at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 05:29:32 EDT 2008

>  James Stone wrote:
>   > I thought the korg X50 looks quite nice.. I am considering getting
>   > one, although I don't think the keyboard will be much of an upgrade
>   > over the Evolution.. I think the built in sounds are pretty amazing
>   > though.
>
>  I really like the look of that. But at 450 pounds it's still somewhat
>  over my budget.
>
>  Cue everyone rolling their eyes and thinking to themselves "you can't
>  have everything and get it cheap". But in all seriousness I shouldn't
>  have to be looking at expensive high end gear to get what I want. The
>  perfect solution would be a consumer grade keyboard, but with line-out
>  added (there's no way that's hard or expensive), and different
>  proportions. I'm not really asking them to cram stuff into less space
>  (though I *know* there's no need for them to be that size). Just change
>  the proportions.

I think I may have found just the thing: The xiosynth from Novation. I
think you can get it for around £190 new (4 octave version). It does
analogue modeling, and apparently also has some sampled sounds. In the
end I bought a second hand yamaha an-1x which has a very nice solidly
built keyboard - 5 octaves with aftertouch , and good (analogue
modeled) sounds. I paid £210 for it.

James