[LAU] question re: Minicomputer synth

Cesare Marilungo cesare at poeticstudios.com
Tue Apr 29 13:06:13 EDT 2008

Malte Steiner wrote:
> I plan to implement an automated start and stop of the synthcore through
> the editor so it going to be transparent for the user that Minicomputer
> is actually made of two programs. While I think it addresses only a
> fraction of users (dont expect a piano from it) it should be made as
> accessible as possible. But shiny GUIs, I don't know. The look stays the
> way it is. It stirred up some discussion but the look is a statement of
> Minicomputer, Industrial.

Great statement! :-)
> Maybe in future synths (certainly not in the next one which is a
> derivate of Minicomputer and work with wavetables, not in Creative Labs
> but in PPG sense :) )
I am really looking forward to this. Two feature requests:

1) The ability to modulate between two or more wavetables.
2) Whole patch randomizer.
>  I will unify the application and handle the GUI in
> a separate thread for technical reasons so it integrates better or more
> easily for me as a programmer. But an remote access through something
> like OSC should come with it.
>
> But yeah, I am using Nord Modular and Csound regularly even today, so
> its the right tool for the right purpose :)

Couldn't agree more. There are some things that can only be accomplished
with audio programming languages (both visual and text-based, the latter
will always be more versatile and expressive IMO, but maybe less
inspiring). And it 's also true that sometimes you just want to pick up
a synth and tweak the knobs for instant gratification/inspiration.

All the best,

-c.