[LAU] PulseAudio and Alsa

Stephen Doonan stephen.doonan at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 14:23:09 EDT 2008

Esben Stien wrote:
> Stephen Doonan <stephen.doonan at gmail.com> writes:
>> Is it a good development?
>
> Yes.
>
>> Will it eventually replace ALSA
>
> No. Pulse sits on top of ALSA. A normal use for pro audio is to run
> Pulse on top of JACK.
>
>> Remove it afterward and revert to pure ALSA
>
> That would be a bad idea.

Hello Esben-- How does one make PulseAudio and jack work well with each
other? What should a person do to get it working well?

As mentioned in another email in this thread, I have experienced quite a
few problems, hangs, some crashes, unusual behavior, lack of choices in
applications regarding audio devices, etc., not to mention general
confusion and frustration, with PulseAudio enabled.

Steve