[LAU] Fedora Core 9, Planet CCRMA, and PulseAudio

The Other theother1510 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 12 08:54:51 EST 2008

Joe Hartley wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 07:57:42 -0600
> The Other <theother1510 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> Still waiting on the CCRMA repositories for Fedora 9.  (Any
>> idea when that will come along?  Fedora is now up to version 10.)
>
> There have been Planet CCRMA repositories available for quite a while
> now.  I believe the webpage is lagging behind in documenting this,
> though.
>
> I'm planning on installing 9 soon, but from everything I've read,
> the 2.26 RT kernels are not stable, and Pulseaudio is a royal pain.
> I plan to simply uninstall its RPMs.

Thanks for the reply Joe.  Following your suggestion I looked at the
Planet CCRMA instructions for installing on top of Fedora Core 8, was
able to locate where the Fedora Core 9 and Fedora Core 10 CCRMA
repositories were located, and enabled the CCRMA repository for Fedora
Core 9.

The RealTime kernel I got was:

Linux serenity.valley 2.6.24.7-1.rt3.2.fc9.ccrmart #1 SMP PREEMPT RT
Tue May 13 04:33:19 EDT 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

I'm running it right now after a reboot.  As soon as I did RealPlayer
11 is back to using the motherboard speaker, arrg!  Oh well.

Any reason you plan to install Fedora Core 9 instead of Fedora Core
10?  Let me know how your installation goes and how you succeed in
disabling PulseAudio.  At this point, I'm ready to leave Planet CCRMA
for any Linux distribution that doesn't use PulseAudio.

Regards,
Stephen.