[LAU] mac-mini size-alike pc for linux?

Sebastian Moors mauser at smoors.de
Thu Dec 18 12:10:08 EST 2008

Hi,

Frank Barknecht schrieb:
> Hallo,
> sh0099 hat gesagt: // sh0099 wrote:
>

>> hey i used a mac mini ... with a 1,83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.
>>
>> the good thing about this computer is the size and that the computer is
>> silent (i mean the fan).
>>
>> is there pc on the market with a similar size and which is similar silent?
>>
>> maybe already linux tested?
>>

> Maybe take a look at the various Nettops that seem to be popping up lately:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nettop
>
> Ciao

The nettops are not comparable to the mac mini since they are (mostly)
based on intel atom cpu's, which
are very slow compared to an intel core2duo.

But if just size matters, the asus eetop (or whatever it is called now)
can be considered
as an alternative (but comes without an optical drive).
The MSI Wind Nettop for example (i've just installed one last week) is
as twice as big as the mac mini but very affordable and includes a
dvd-burner and big harddrive.

If you're planing to use it for every-day audio work, you may want to
consider a more performant solution, like the transtec senyo 610
(http://www.transtec.de/D/D/products/personal_computer/pc/mini_pc.html).
This device an be delivered with Suse Enterprise pre-installed, so it
can be considered as "linux tested" :)

Btw, have you tried running a mac port of linux on your mac mini? I'm
running debian here on an old imac and it is very performant (compared
to OSX).
- Sebastian