[LAU] embedded devices for audio

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Thu Dec 18 13:38:52 EST 2008

On 6:18:06 pm 12/18/08 "Nathanael Anderson" <wirelessdreamer at gmail.com>
wrote:

> A major issue that you&#39;ll run into is Jack support. All
> information i&#39;ve seen is that the rt patches haven&#39;t been
> ported to arm, so you&#39;ll experience alot of xruns, and not be able
> to get very low latency. if you want a portable device for audio,
> you&#39;ll probably want to get an atom based mid, and tweak it.
> Nathanael

This is an important consideration for real time operations. What I am
particularly interested in is netjack on ARM but I can sacrifice realtime
for my specific needs...

At the moment I just want to get Android up and running so I can tweak it
from there. A it can now also be installed on the iphone (at least in
console mode) it has the potential to make a great future proofed platform.

The Atom platform looks like it will be more viable in the near future with
Ion looking like a very serious breakthrough if Nvidia can make sure they
don't F up the gpu drivers for Linux, if they even release them as I'm sure
they won't be FOSS for a while.

I am also in the process of experimenting with the VIA pico/nano-itx systems.

Cheers.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd.