[LAU] Call for Participation: International Counting Track

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Tue Dec 23 05:12:49 EST 2008

On Tue, 2008-12-23 at 20:09 +1030, Matthew Smith wrote:

> I'm not all that sure about how good it is to "normalise" 24 bit to 32
> bit - that would mean some sort of interpolation and thus introduction
> of errors.

To normalize doesn't refer to changing bit-depth at all. It's about
detecting the loudest sample in a file (or selection), calculating a
multiplier that will give it the highest allowed value and then applying
this multiplier to all the samples.

This is of course neutral at best regarding quality, but makes handling
material from many different sources a bit easier. So I hope, at
least :)

> I think I'll just record using the H2, 24 bit @ 48kHz, trim and save.
> Then I will expand that to 32 bit so you have got the pure and
> interpolated versions.

I asked for 32 bit float mainly to not have people recording with a JACK
application submitting exports to an integer bit-rate.

I want to avoid conversions and 32 bit float is a given because I will
edit in Ardour :)

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software: