[LAU] Best setup for sound recording under Intrepid

alex stone compose59 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 14:09:57 EST 2008

Fedora 8 32bit here, and UbuntuStudio Hardy 8.0.4. 64bit  both going like a
train, with very few challenges.

If you don't really need the latest and greatest, then, well, if it ain't
broke.....

Similar jack/alsa setup on both (Jackmp dbus version, latest svn a week ago,
Alsa 1.0.17, and a couple of important lib updates, which i compiled from
source.)

Dave Phillips, the chap to blame to for getting me into linux, (O wise one
:) ) will tell you that i'm a serial linux maniac of some 14 months from
scratch, with no coding skills, fierce enthusiasm, and relentlessly poor
humour, all of which are 'human' libs i've 'compiled' to get the above dual
boots working well,and importantly, successfully.

I've avoided the intrepid up date for the RT kernel challenges, and haven't
lost anything at all by sticking with releases one step removed from
current. I respectuflly suggest you might consider the same, with the
notable exception of Jack, where the latest version, hot out of the oven, is
a better bet than 0.109. something, which comes as the default with ubuntu.
0.109 came about in a period of transition for Jack, as the devs got the BIG
spanners  and power tools out, and did some serious work. (which has come to
fruit for us appreciative users in the latest release.)

Good luck.

Alex Stone.