[LAU] Freebob problem with M-Audio Firewire Solo breakout box

verymeta at riseup.net verymeta at riseup.net
Sat Feb 2 15:23:33 EST 2008

Hi, I apologize for cross-posting, as I've already sent this to the Ubuntu
Studio list, but I don't think the problem is specific to Ubuntu...

I need some help getting Freebob to work with my new M-Audio Firewire Solo
device instead of a soundcard.

When I run gscanbus, the Firewire Solo is recognised, but when I do

$ aplay -l

I get the message:

aplay: device_list:204: no soundcards found...

However I know that the Jack server can 'see' the Firewire Solo in some
way because if I do

$ jackd -d freebob

without the Solo plugged in, Jack won't start. But if the Solo is
plugged in Jack will start, and I get the messages:

SSE2 detected
Freebob using Firewire port 0, node -1
libiec61883 warning: Established connection on channel 0.
You may need to manually set the channel on the receiving node.
libiec61883 warning: Established connection on channel 1.
You may need to manually set the channel on the receiving node.

But still I don't get any sound. I have no idea what 'manually set the
channel on the receiving node' means.

Also, I don't know if this is meaningful in any way, but when I open
qjackctl and go to setup, the 'input device', 'output device', 'input
channels', and 'output channels' drop-down boxes are greyed out.

I've read all the info I could find on this from Google searches (though
a lot of it is way over my head) and I'm running out of things to try to
make this work, does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
-Katie.