[LAU] Freebob problem with M-Audio Firewire Solo breakout box

Hartmut Noack zettberlin at linuxuse.de
Sat Feb 2 15:38:13 EST 2008

verymeta at riseup.net schrieb:
> Hi, I apologize for cross-posting, as I've already sent this to the Ubuntu
> Studio list, but I don't think the problem is specific to Ubuntu...
>
> I need some help getting Freebob to work with my new M-Audio Firewire Solo
> device instead of a soundcard.
>
> When I run gscanbus, the Firewire Solo is recognised, but when I do
>
> $ aplay -l

Alsa does not handle FW-cards

> $ jackd -d freebob
>
> without the Solo plugged in, Jack won't start. But if the Solo is
> plugged in Jack will start, and I get the messages:
>
> JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
>
> SSE2 detected
> Freebob using Firewire port 0, node -1
> libiec61883 warning: Established connection on channel 0.
> You may need to manually set the channel on the receiving node.
> libiec61883 warning: Established connection on channel 1.
> You may need to manually set the channel on the receiving node.

I get the very same message and after it I can use a Presonus Firebox
without any trouble via Jack. So this does not look like a source of
trouble to me :-)

> But still I don't get any sound.

What does this mean in detail? What happens, if you start Ardour - do
the IN/OUT ports of the port show up in "connections"?
What happens, if you start qjackctl *after* you have jackd with freebob
up and running?

> I have no idea what 'manually set the
> channel on the receiving node' means.

Me neither - but I do not have any trouble with that.

> Also, I don't know if this is meaningful in any way, but when I open
> qjackctl and go to setup, the 'input device', 'output device', 'input
> channels', and 'output channels' drop-down boxes are greyed out.

the greyed out options do not apply to the freebob backend, if there is
something to set, freebob does it.

best

HZN