[LAU] Converting OpenSuse 10.3 to JAD

Christian Delahousse christian.delahousse at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 14:02:02 EST 2008

Hey guys,

I just recently posted here stating I was looking to convert my laptop
for a live performance machine using linux and mostly Pd (I was
thinking pd, but I said Max MSP instead). After browsing around for
various distros, I chose JAD become it was the most recently updated
one, was advertised to have a realtime kernel and could run with ASIO
drivers.

The problem was that I couldn't install it from the disk since my DVD
drive is semi kaput and can really only read CDs. So instead, I opted
to install openSuse 10.3 instead because they offered to install it
via a net connection. Its up and running (aside from my flipping
wireless! BROADCOM!!!) and I want to start some wireless work by
converting it into a JAD type workstation. The problem is that JAD is
based on OpenSuse10.2 and I'm running 10.3, which has me concerned.

There is a guide
(http://wiki.jacklab.net/index.php/3_Steps_to_JAD_for_Beginners) on
how to convert Suse10.2 to jad, but I'm afraid of compatibility issues
since my version is 10.3 and I don't know if the techniques described
there transfer over. Furthermore, I snooped around the Jacklab
repository and found a OpenSuse 10.3 folder, but as soon as I added
it, I got a warning from YaST telling me the description file was
broken... or something.

Furthermore, is there a way to install all the audio packages at once
instead of downloading them individually.

Thanks
-Chris