[LAU] OT: online music sales sites

NeLaS organelas at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 14:11:15 EST 2008

Hey there,

Have you tried amiestreet.com ? They have an interesting model to sell
music. Tracks begin free and then start to value some $ as they are
reccomended by other users. I haven't sold any tracks, but they already
worth some cents... ;-)

The most direct revenue I got from my little songs comes from jamendo.com.
They share half of their ads revenue with
artists<http://ccnelas.org/2007/01/15/jamendo-is-sharing-revenue/>,
proportional to the album's page views. If your songs have little/medium
traffic you can win a couple of euros monthly... but if you got a hit album,
then who knows... you probably can profit more.

Keep in mind you must always be very active in the respective communities to
be listened. Otherwise, people will listen to something else...

cheers,

nelas

On Feb 13, 2008 4:39 PM, Loki Davison <loki.davison at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 13, 2008 9:11 PM, Ken Restivo <ken at restivo.org> wrote:
> > There appears to be one online music sales site for every musician out
> there.
> >
> > Well, maybe not quite that extreme. But, as has always been the case,
> the money isn't in being a musician, it's in selling the tools to musicians
> (instruments, software, t-shirt printing, etc., and now online music sales
> services). I suppose it's always been this way, dating back to the explosion
> of people selling HTML editors to aspiring web designers (and network
> equipment to aspiring ISP's) in the 1990's, to the people selling shovels to
> the gold miners in California in 1849.
> >
> > I've looked into Magnatune and iThinkMusic, and I've got some stuff on
> MusicSupervisor. My drummer put one of our band's tracks on SnoCap (we sold
> exactly zero). Somewhere I have a VIRB.com account, which I wasn't able to
> use much because its posting system requires Flash (which doesn't work on my
> 64-bit Linux machine). Someone on another list pointed me to Nimbit.com,
> which looks pretty good so far.
> >
> > Is anyone having any success with any of these sites for making any
> money selling tracks?
> >
> > -ken
> >

> I was thinking about this the other day. It can't be that hard to set
> up music sales site and get money via paypal, have downloads in
> flac/mp3/ogg automagically transcoded on upload from the original
> flac. All the ones i've seen seem very for profit or very not
> opensource. Maybe it could be an alternative... despite the many
> closed source style sites already around.  Maybe some percent of sales
> goes to bandwidth cost? Would be pretty minimal though.
>
> Loki

Bruno C. Vellutini
organelas.com | ccnelas.org | desertoresdaescada.com

Centro de Biologia Marinha (CEBIMar)
Universidade de São Paulo
Av. Manoel H. do Rego km 131,5
11600-000 São Sebastião, SP, Brasil