[LAU] Changing Ardour's font size

Edgar Aichinger edogawa at aon.at
Sat Jan 12 08:33:41 EST 2008

Am Freitag, 11. Januar 2008 schrieb Christopher Stamper:
> Try changing the Gnome/GTK font:
>
> System->Preferences->Appearance and fonts.
>
> Haven't tried it, but I think it works.

I don't think so.

As Paul said, the ardour2_ui_*.rc files define absolute font sizes for the
several custom widget styles. About a year ago i maintained my own bright theme
file for a couple of months (until the theme manager appeared in svn).

The whole issue depends not only on font sizes, but also on what idea GNOME or
GTK has got about screen resolution. So, if you tweak resolution in the GNOME
font setup (IIRC it's in an extra dialog accessible via a button "Advanced" or
similar) until a size of 8 pt. for your standard system font looks good to you,
you _should_ get similar sizes in ardour, as the ardour2_ui*.rc files use
"sans 8" as "standard" size.

And if someone is not using GNOME? There is a little utility called gtk-chtheme
which allows to switch gtk2 system theme and font family/size. But there's no
way i know of to change GTK's idea of resolution that way, and ardour will
pick up only font family from that.