[LAU] HD Radio broadcasts

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Tue Jan 15 09:47:28 EST 2008

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 08:18:52 -0600
The Other <sstubbs at shout.net> wrote:
> What is HD radio?  A local radio station is advertising they are the
> first HD radio station in my listening area.  Is HD supposed to mean
> High Definition?
>
> How can radio waves be normal for other stations, and HD for this
> station?  Doesn't make sense to me.  I suspected HD means the
> recordings have not been so compressed as other 'normal' radio station
> recordings, and you can actually hear some dynamic range.

Google is your friend:
    http://www.hdradio.com/how_does_hd_digital_radio_work.php

Basically there's a digital component added to the analog.  A HD radio
picks up the digital signal, and much like a TCP/IP stream can sort packets
that don't arrive in strict order, sorts them out into a signal without
static, hiss or pops.

The record labels are still going to insist that recordings be compressed
to within an inch of listenability.

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com