[LAU] HD Radio broadcasts

Steve Fosdick lists at pelvoux.nildram.co.uk
Wed Jan 16 04:32:57 EST 2008

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 09:42:35 -0500
"Dan Easley" <daneasley at gmail.com> wrote:

 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_Radio
>
> simply, it adds a few program streams to the broadcast by digitally
> encoding and compressing (data-wise, not dynamically) them into the
> unused bits of an AM/FM station's designated portion of spectrum.
>
> this means that, instead of broadcasting one set of programs, a
> station can broadcast two or three sets simultaneously.

Never mind the quality, feel the width!

Personally I think it is really sad that politicians feel some obligation to use radio/TV spectrum to allow the largest amount of poor content to be broadcast rather than allowing a smaller amount of good content to be broadcast with decent reproduction quality.

Steve.