[LAU] [OT] creative commons non-commercial licensed music - ask for advice

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Thu Jan 24 09:51:28 EST 2008

Am Donnerstag, 24. Januar 2008 schrieb Cesare Marilungo:
> I received an email from a film producer (based in Los Angeles, probably
> an indie studio) in which he wrote that the director of a movie they're
> just finishing (they're at post-production stage) is interested in using
> two tracks of mine, 'Balloon' (http://www.cesaremarilungo.com/media) and
> 'As we grow older' (http://www.cesaremarilungo.com/media/the-moon-ep).
> I released these tracks under a non-commercial Creative Commons license:
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/deed-music.
> In the past some of my music has been used for some short films, but
> these were clearly non commercial projects or film schools thesis.
> Has anybody some experience on this topic? What should I do? Should I
> re-license these tracks? Can I just make them a written permission? Or
> should I ask for some kind of royalty (or would it be ridiculous, also
> considering that AFAIK Gyorgy Ligeti has never been paid for its music
> on '2001 A space odyssey' :-) )?

You can publish your works under every license you want. Can even be two or
more licenses. So you don't need to re-license the tracks you published on
the net, you can simply send them the tracks with a letter "I hereby grant
them...", you can define the rules in there too (like payment).
But they probably can not make you sign a letter stating that you give them
exclusive rights or even sell your rights to them unless you manage to remove
all the versions from the net (and the users computers/players)...

But I am not a layer and my knowledge is _very_ small.

Arnold
--
visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/
---