[LAU] Large live recrodings ?

David Forsyth steampipe at iwr.ru.ac.za
Wed Jul 2 15:20:38 EDT 2008

Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 13:38:11 +0200 (CEST)
From: "Kjetil S. Matheussen"

David Forsyth:

>> At this point, I'd be happy to do an 8 track recording.  For
>> important live recordings I would not use a laptop, but instead a
>> decent desktop with a RAID 0 array of at least 3 SATA2 disks for
>> the audio files, with the system on another disk.
>>

 >I think that is complete overkill. I just tried recorded 128 channels
 >of 32bit/44100hz at once, without problem. And my machine is 5 years
 >old 2Gz barebone, using only a single PATA ide disk.

 >This was using jack_capture, and only recording silence (ie.
 >non-connected jack ports). Maybe the silence makes a difference.(?)

I think you're missing all the interrupts that would happen if your
audio hardware was sampling and sending data to the jack ports.
and then the conflict between the PCI transfers of that data and the
DMA->PCI transfers to disk...

I had trouble with my 8 channel setup until I sorted out the SATA
settings.  I still say that for a large important (one chance) recording
I'd use more hardware than a laptop can supply, even if I have to hire
it or assemble it specially for the show.

 >256 channels did not work very well though.

heh (-:

--
David                       http://iwr.ru.ac.za/~iwdf/
If you receive email saying "Send this to everyone you know",