[LAU] monitor shot, need advice for a new one

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 17:02:31 EDT 2008

EDID firmware resides in the monitor itself.  You should never have to worry
about it, unless something is shot on your monitor.  X-Org will probe it for
some basic information about your panel, to use in its configuration.

I did have to access it once, when I suspected my brand new monitor was
dead.  I had to dig out the full results of what was in the EDID to figure
out what was wrong, and that it was a problem within the monitor.  This was
with a band new Samsung funnily enough.  However I called up Samsung with
this information, and within a half hour of being on the phone with them(One
transfer as the person I got in touch with the first time was obviously
entry level tech support and they realised very quickly I knew more than
they did about it so they transferred me up to the higher ups), they were
shipping out a new monitor to me to a local UPS store since I wasn't home
most of the day, where I did my exchange there.  Couldn't be happier with
their service in that regards.

But most people(99.999%) will probably never have to worry about it.

     Seablade