[LAU] headphones

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Sat Jul 19 19:52:00 EDT 2008

lynne shorthose wrote:

> it's just that i treated myself to the 650s a while ago in the
> hope of using them for mixing and mastering, but don't think
> them at all suitable after having listened to them extensively.
>
> i've always wondered whether the 650s were a step down from the
> much lauded 600s, or whether i just wouldn't recognise quality
> and neutrality if they broke into my house and spelt their names
> on my fridge with alphabet magnets.

You might be one of those people who don't like the laid-back style of
the Senn' HD 6xx. To your ears, they seem too "soft", isn't it?

Try and get your hands on a higher-end-ish Grado and see how you like
it. In fact, many of the high-end phones should be a bit more "forward"
than Sennheiser.
But don't just sell the 650 immediately. Wait a bit, you may end up
keeping both. That's what happened to me, even though I went the
opposite way.

And indeed, for splicing tracks and stuff like that, I find the Grado
more helpful sometimes. But then I switch to the sampler, hit a chord
with an aggressive, buzzy synthesizer patch, and all of a sudden it
feels like I'm chewing glass. Oh, right, I was listening through the
Grado. :-/

Your experience might be different.

--
Florin Andrei