[LAU] JACK with many soundcards

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Jul 31 11:12:24 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 16:30 +0200, Adrien DANIEL wrote:

> So, the solution would be a bit more complicated, but resembles what I
> proposed in my second post with USB : Firewire ADC for each
> instrument, and a Firewire DAC, such that everyone is kept
> synchronized. And I suppose that the number of Firewire ADC is also
> very limited by the number of Firewire busses.

No, the solution is to forget about decentralizing A/D and instead plug
the analog cables into a central (bank of) A/D's which then feed a
single multichannel audio interface (of which there are several to
choose from). this is how recording studios do it, and its likely how
you should too. ditto for the output - the single interface feeds a bank
of centralized D/A which pass signals back to amps, monitors headphones
etc.