[LAU] Xruns on Ubuntu 8.04, two machines

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Tue Jun 17 14:06:08 EDT 2008

Johannes Mario Ringheim wrote:
> After upgrading to Ubuntu Hardy (8.04), I'm having (too many) xruns on
> two different machines. Both worked perfectly on 7.04.
>
> On both machines the "RT" indicator on qjackctl keeps blinking. On 7.04
> it was always dimmed, and everything worked fine. Does someone know what
> that "RT" indicator in qjackctl means? When it is dimmed, do you not
> have proper realtime scheduling?
>
> On my laptop, with a Behringer UCA202 USB soundcard, there are xruns on
> some of the "RT" blinks. On my PC, with an M-Audio Delta66, there are
> one xrun on the first blink, and on every subsequent blink a message
> saying "XRUN callback (40 skipped).". Then there's about forty lines
> saying "delay of 36196.000 usecs exceeds estimated spare time of
> 11579.000; restart ...". I've included a portion of the jackd output below.

just a way of clarification.

the RT blinking is a recent "feature" of QjackCtl. you can turn it off
in the Setup/Display/Blink server mode display option if you don't like
it :)

the RT indication being there, either blinking or not, is a simple
indication that the jack server is running in real-time mode. the
blinking is just some lousy eye-candy, nothing more, nothing less ...

it just happens that qjackctl displays new xruns and blinks at the very
same time (~2 second period). the xruns are happening in between (and
count reported as "skipped") it just doesn't matter whether the RT
indicator is blinking or not.

byee
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela