[LAU] looking for alternatives to ac3jack, because it just won't build

peder at musikhuset.org peder at musikhuset.org
Wed Jun 18 02:14:36 EDT 2008

Quoting Jesse Chappell <jesse at essej.net>:

> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 3:43 PM, Eric Steinberg
> <eric.steinberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm unable to build ac3jack on my Hardy system; stuck in dependency hell.
>
> I have reimplemented ac3jack completely, but have not yet released it

> The downside is that it has a few more dependencies.  It no longer
> uses ffmpeg, instead using the newer and more actively developed
> Aften.   I've made an SVN snapshot of Aften that you'll need to use
> instead of their release version.

> Aften source:
>  http://essej.net/ac3jack/aften-20071020.tar.gz

Of course you can use whatever libraries you like in your software,
and perhaps Aften fits ac3jack better in some way, but I think you
need to come up with a better excuse for not using ffmpeg other than it being
(to paraphrase per implication) "old and not actively developed".
Especially since you're using a snapshot of Aften that's eight months old.

According to http://svn.mplayerhq.hu/ffmpeg/trunk/ they're busy making
changes.
Some were made hours ago, some days, some weeks and some months.

Regards,
    Peder (not affiliated with ffmpeg in any ways, other than a happy
mplayer user)