[LAU] RME Multiface Setup

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sun Jun 22 22:51:23 EDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-06-22 at 22:34 +0200, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 08:09:01PM +0200, Martin Horn wrote:
>
> > I am sending another request because I think this describes my problem
> > better, Thanks to everybody reading!
> >
> > I want to use a RME Multiface soundcard with PCMCIA Cardbus Card on a Dell
> > Notebook with Ubuntu.
> > I installed all alsa drivers and other available tools for the RME card
> > successfully and if I do:
> >
> > aplay -D plughw:1 track1.wav
>
> Try -D hw:1

this won't work. the hw:N device requires the input format to match the
h/w caps (channel count, SR, bit depth, interleaved, etc. etc.)

my understanding was that ALSA's default handling of routing an N
channel signal to M channels where N>M is that the N get mapped to all M
in a repeating fashion. maybe this has been changed, and you just get
the first N channels, with the rest silent.

martin, there is no way to use just ALSA device addressing to specify
specific channels. you would have to set up an ALSA pseudo-device with a
"route" specification to do this. its probably not what you want.

as was mentioned, just using JACK will be much easier.