[LAU] audio/visual synthesis

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Wed Jun 25 12:29:21 EDT 2008

Salvete,

I'm writing a rather lengthy article for LJ on the general topic of
audio/visual synthesis software. I've written some historical and
technical background and have selected some programs to profile, including:

AVSynthesis
Fluxus
Pd/GEM
Processing

I'd also like to review VeeJay and FreeJ, but neither would compile
cleanly on JAD 1.0, Fortunately I can install VeeJay from the Packman
repo, but I'll keep working on the compile problems with the most recent
versions of that software.

So my quesion is: What have I missed, what other software can Linux
users recommend for audio/visual synthesis ? It doesn't have to be
realtime, btw, but it does have to combine audio and graphics for
potentially simultaneous synthesis of sound and image.

I have also tried some well-known Windows A/V synths, e.g. Resolume and
vvvv. Alas, they didn't fare too well with Wine 1.0, but I'm open to
suggestions for that environment too (i.e. Linux with Wine, *not* native
Windows).

Gratias ago vobis,

dp