[LAU] audio/visual synthesis

Florian Schmidt mista.tapas at gmx.net
Thu Jun 26 07:48:58 EDT 2008

On Thursday 26 June 2008, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> > Don't forget the bomb and electric sheep. Bomb has can connect to esd
> > and electric sheep is a way to create fractals for use with above
> > graphics engines.
>
> Hi Patrick,
>
> Thanks for the tips. I looked at Bomb again yesterday, I'll check out
> Electric Sheep today. The Bomb is not really what I'm looking for,
> though I do call attention to that type of image/sound software. I'm
> centrally interested in applications that include an audio synthesis
> side, along with the video synthesis part, a la Pd/GEM or the SC3 stuff
> nescivi pointed out.

Hi Dave,

Actually in the case of SC the graphics and the audio server are two separate
applications. But they work together quite nicely in the SuperCollider
framework [by using [almost] the same OSC protocol and SuperCollider language
features to construct "synths" both in the audio and in the graphics domain].

In a way i really think that the audio and graphics domain are vastly
different beasts and in this regard the SCGraph server is a hack ;) as it
tries to map the SuperCollider approach to doing audio synthesis to the realm
of graphics "synthesis". I guess it's still a useful hack [e.g. i like to
play with it] but i'm myself not 100% convinced that this approach is really
the most feasible [aside from the fact that SCGraph itself still also needs
quite a lot of work]...

Regards,
Flo

--